The building of the former city council is now listed in the state register of cultural heritage as the building of the House of Trade Unions and fire station, which were placed there in Soviet times.
However, the most important milestone in the history of this building is that here was the main administrative office of the city - City Council (as it is now called - the State Administration in the House of Soviets).
On the map of 1903, you can see that police, bank and the fire department could be found in this building as well. Actually, the maypole is what the fire department needed for the visual observation of the city. It is the height (platform at the 3rd floor level) that shows the one-story characteristic of the city, for which this altitude was quite enough.
There is no document that would indicate the exact date of construction of the building. According to the maps of the early XIX century, on the site of the present building, city magistrate was found (in fact - the local court).
It is also known that in the 1860s, the town council rented premises from private landlords because council building was under repairs.
Fragment of the Tiraspol’s 1903 map indicating city council building.
Last city mayor before the revolution was Grigoryi Ivanovich Olshevskyi (1906-1917), and before him – Simion Pavlovich Timchenko (1890 – 1906).
City council membership for the year of 1910. Only 9 people.
S.P. Timchenko, the court counselor, mayor of Tiraspol from 1890 to 1906.
Under the leadership of Mr. Timchenko, development of the city came to a new level in the 90’s, cities aqueduct was built, women's gymnasium and a real specialized school, a library, and 2 parks.
G. Olishevskyi, Tiraspol’s last city mayor.
Under Gregory Olszewski appears City Telephone Network, paved streets, the aqueduct is expanded and the construction of the first power plant began by the "Dynamo" firm from Petersburg, which was interrupted by the revolution and the civil war.
City council announcement in the «Днестровский Край» newspaper from April 29, 1913.
Cities public bank was opened in 1868 with a capital of 15 000 rubles (275 000 dollars today). In 1884, the Tiraspol city bank issued loans of 115 003 rubles to 931 people. About banks director in 1914, Kunchule, former member of the council, local newspapers talked of him as of a good-natured man, who knew by heart the set of laws.
Fires were a real scourge for the city in the XIX century, which consisted at that time mostly of clay houses with cane roofs. Inadequate equipment of the fire brigade of the time did not allow a timely manner to extinguish fires.
Interesting is the fact that the last chief of the fire brigade before the revolution, Boltin, after the begining of the war with Germany in 1914, demanded that he was not called Burgher in German style anymore, demand that was granted.
Tiraspol’s fire brigade membership of 1857.
From an architectural point of view the building is a clear representation of neo-classicism, indicated by the clear symmetry of the main façade and the triangular pediment above the main entrance. Distracting from the buildings composition is the tower, which is offset from the central axis of the building and probably was built later.
Maypole is composed of an octagon on the quadrangle, the walls are decorated with niches and eaves, small window openings have the form of ancient kokoshniks. Rods plaster cornices profiles of the building resemble the cornices profiles of the workers of a military hospital building, on the territory of the former fortress.
A fragment of the lost cast-iron fence balcony. Strict rhythmic bars pattern and the use of plant elements at the bottom of the lattice – acanthus, testify for the classical style.
Photo of a 1914 postcard.
Photo of soviet period.
Of course, the building keeps a lot of stories that require separate publications, let’s just say that in Soviet times the building was given to the school, and later to a garment factory 40 years of the Komsomol. Currently on the ground floor you can find places of trade and services.
Not so long ago the owners of a photo shop have cut the unique for Tiraspol, cast iron railings of the balcony. Promotional constructions from the first floor, litter the facade, while from the second floor the plaster falls off. Tower steps have rotten and it is forbidden to use them.